Chapel of the Holy Cross (Sedona, Arizona) 聖十字教堂（亞利桑那州塞多納）
The Chapel of the Holy Cross is a Roman Catholic chapel built into the buttes of Sedona, Arizona. The chapel is under the episcopal see of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Phoenix and its ministry is conducted by St. John Vianney Parish, Sedona.
Architect(s):Marguerite Brunswig Staude
Designated as NHL:National Register of Historic Places
The chapel was inspired and commissioned by local rancher and sculptor Marguerite Brunswig Staude, who had been inspired in 1932 by the newly constructed Empire State Building to build such a church. After an attempt to do so in Budapest, Hungary (with the help of Lloyd Wright, son of architect Frank Lloyd Wright) was abandoned due to the outbreak of World War II, she decided to build the church in her native region.
Richard Hein was chosen as project architect, and the design is by architect August K. Strotz, both from the firm of Anshen & Allen. The chapel is built on Coconino National Forest land; the late Senator Barry Goldwater assisted Staude in obtaining a special-use permit. The construction supervisor was Fred Courkos, who built the chapel in 18 months at a cost of US$300,000. The chapel was completed in 1956.
The American Institute of Architects gave the Chapel its Award of Honor in 1957. In the sculptor’s words, “Though Catholic in faith, as a work of art the Chapel has a universal appeal. Its doors will ever be open to one and all, regardless of creed, that God may come to life in the souls of all men and be a living reality.”
In 2007, Arizonans voted the Chapel to be one of the Seven Man-Made Wonders of Arizona.
這座教堂的靈感來自當地的牧場主和雕塑家瑪格麗特·布魯斯維格·斯塔德（Marguerite Brunswig Staude），他於1932年受到新建的帝國大廈的啟發而建造了一座教堂。在匈牙利布達佩斯嘗試這樣做（在建築師弗蘭克·勞埃德·賴特（Frank Lloyd Wright）的兒子勞埃德·賴特（Lloyd Wright）的幫助下）由於第二次世界大戰的爆發而被放棄後，她決定在自己的故鄉建造教堂。
理查德·海因（Richard Hein）被選為項目建築師，設計由建築師安格·艾倫（Asenhen＆Allen）的建築師August K. Strotz設計。教堂建在可可諾國家森林地上。已故參議員Barry Goldwater協助Staude獲得特殊用途許可證。施工主管是弗雷德·庫科斯（Fred Courkos），他在18個月內建造了這座教堂，耗資30萬美元。教堂於1956年建成。
Upon arrival, visitors walk up a ramp from the parking area to the chapel. The long, curved ramp is constructed of textured concrete.
The main feature of the chapel is a 90 ft (27.4 m) tall iron cross on the southwestern wall, which serves both aesthetic and structural purposes. A sculptress by the name of Marguerite Staude was inspired by the powerful image of the steel framework in the Empire State building and other skyscrapers. Her idea for the cross was carried out by sculptor Keith Monroe, from San Francisco. The cross holds both the altar and Corpus on the interior.
The walls and cross are constructed with reinforced coarse-aggregate concrete, 1 foot in thickness. Inside and out, the walls were sandblasted to unveil the textured aggregate. To reduce glare, smokey-gray colored glass is utilized at the two ends of the chapel. The floor is made of concrete, which is trowel-finished. The front doors are constructed of aluminum with horn-shaped handles.
The effect of the materials pallet combined with the simple, angled shapes in the chapel create an impression of grandeur and strength. This is fitting, as it sits at the base of a 1,500 ft cliff and is surrounded by massive pieces of sandstone.
The chapel seats up to 150 people. The confessional, office, two sacristies and services are located in the basement of the building.
教堂的主要特徵是西南牆上的一個90英尺（27.4 m）高的鐵十字架，兼具美學和結構目的。一位名叫Marguerite Staude的雕塑家的靈感來自帝國大廈和其他摩天大樓中鋼框架的強大形象。她對十字架的想法是由舊金山的雕刻家Keith Monroe提出的。十字架將祭壇和語料庫都放在內部。
Don’t you think it’s addictive?
Want to know more about the beauty of architecture?
Come and join our members to explore the beauty of architectural design.
The above article is purely for appreciation and sharing purposes, as well as the construction of new technology and the public can be in-depth understanding of the information at the same time there are sources, will be able to query, no use of the document as a commercial transaction, if illegal, please inform the We will immediately remove the site, thank you for cooperation.