Château de Montrésor 蒙特羅莎城堡
Montrésor Castle is located in the south-east of the department of Indre-et-Loire (37), France, about fifteen kilometers east of the town of Loches on the territory of the municipality of Montrésor.
A rocky spur has successively hosted a donjon attributed to Foulques Nerra and integrated into the defensive system of the Counts of Anjou in Touraine, a medieval fortress built by John IV of Bueil, Grand Master crossbowmen of France, then a Renaissance home built by Imbert de Batarnay, influential personage with four kings of France. After the revolutionary period during which the castle, poorly maintained, passed into the hands of several successive owners, Count Xavier Branicki, Polish émigré, patron and mayor of Montrésor from 1860 to 1870, bought the estate in 1849, repairs some parts of the castle, rebuilding others; he furnishes the main dwelling in Second Empire style and decorates it with many works of art. His family, still the owner, lives in a part of a castle almost totally open to the public.
The village itself, first built at the foot of the castle, did not really develop until the Middle Ages; in the twenty-first century, it turned to a tourist activity whose castle is one of the main assets.
蒙特莎城堡位於安德爾 – 盧瓦爾省的部門（37）的東南，法國，東洛什的蒙特莎的市轄區鎮大約15公里。
Period or style: Medieval / Renaissance
Type: Fortress then Logis
Architect: Roger the Little Devil
Beginning of construction: eleventh century
Late construction: sixteenth century
Initial owner: Foulques Nerra
Initial destination: home
Current owner: family Rey
Current destination: tourism / logis
Protection: Historic Monument Logo Classified MH (1996)
Coordinates: 47 ° 09 ’21 “north, 1 ° 12′ 05″ est2
Country: Flag of France France
Former Provinces of France: Touraine
Region: Center-Val de Loire
地區：Centre-Val de Loire
部安德爾 – 盧瓦爾省
Montrésor Castle, built on a rocky spur, on the hillside overlooking the concavity of a meander of Indrois, on its right bank, saw houses built at its feet from the Middle Ages and constitute little little by little the town of Montrésor, 17 km east of Loches.
With 98 hectares, Montrésor is in 2015 the smallest commune in the department of Indre-et-Loire.
Established on a terrace at an altitude of 106 m, the site of the castle dominates the Indrois valley by a distance of about fifteen meters to the south. To the north and east, the plateau was dug about 10 m to practice a defensive dry ditch. To the west, the natural point of the spur completes the defended perimeter.
這座城堡位於海拔106米的露台上，位於Indrois山谷的南部，距離南部約15米。 在北部和東部，高原挖了大約10米，以練習防禦性乾溝。 在西部，支線的自然點完成了防守周邊。
The primitive dungeon, the gatehouse and the enclosure
Well before the enclosure since its construction dates from the very beginning of the eleventh century, the dungeon Foulques Nerra was a polygonal building of about 11 × 7 m whose south face was abutted by a tower of smaller dimensions (6 × 4 m). All that remains, west of the site and dominating the tip of the spur, is a section of the west wall of the keep, about 4 m long and 5 m high, with a medium irregular device. remodeled since its construction.
The unique access to the site, in the extreme east, is through the old dungeon dungeon built in the twelfth century and reworked at the end of the fourteenth century. This now disemboweled building consists of two circular towers connected by a wall facing south towards the foot of the hill and the valley of the Indrois. Mullion windows are pierced in this wall and let guess two floors above the entry level. The west face, in which is pierced the entrance door provided with a bow-point, is flanked, north, of a square tower; a modern lodge (nineteenth century) adjoins this tower, on the courtyard side. The face is gone.
View of a wall crowned by a succession of battlements and merlons.
The crenels of the enclosure.
To the east of this access device, a drawbridge, replaced by a wooden bridge over the moat now filled, commanded the whole and another drawbridge rebuilt in stone under the name of Bouvet Bridge. completed the defenses about 60 m east.
The double chamber is well preserved on almost all of its perimeter. The interior enclosure of the twelfth century which enclosed the whole site still bears the corbelled arches that supported the walkway and, in places, the succession of crenellations and merlons. The fourteenth century enclosure is built outside the previous one and reinforces the defense of the north and east sides, the most vulnerable; lower than the previous one, it presents, on the north side, three towers on the platform of which bombards could be installed. While the twelfth-century precinct rested on the walls of Foulques Nerra’s dungeon to the west, that of the fourteenth century circumvents it from the outside.
The main house
The seigniorial dwelling of the sixteenth century is composed of a rectangular building flanked at each corner of its south facade with a conical turret; the north facade is adorned, instead of turrets, two cantilevered turrets placed on culs-de-lampe; the four turrets are covered with a conical roof. With two floors, the second attic, the building has, north and south, five sets of windows and five skylights lighting the attic. Niches in the re-entrant corners of the walls house statues. If the western part dates from the seventh century, the part is, in ruins at the beginning of the nineteenth century, was rebuilt before the middle of the century without breaking the architectural style, then the whole was redeveloped after the redemption of the castle by Xavier Branicki.
The south wall of the enclosure, partially reused in the construction of the facade of the castle, is of such a thickness that a spiral staircase is provided. In solid mahogany from Cuba and gilded bronze, Xavier bought it in Paris during the 1855 World’s Fair, and had it placed in the wall. It has the particularity to rest only on the first and the last step, with only three steel bars on the sides to maintain it. Another staircase, in the north facade, is built inside a turret partially built in the thickness of the wall of the castle. The coat of arms adorning the tympanum above his door was hammered.
View of the facade of a building with external stair tower and attic on part of the attic.
The common (south facade).
The outbuildings of the castle are built against the northern part of the enclosure. The eastern part of the building, built under John IV of Bueil to serve as a seigniorial dwelling, dates from the fourteenth century but the floor was refurbished by Xavier Branicki. This part of the building retains the traces of the defensive vocation of the fortress: the attic houses vestiges of the former walkway and windows opening to the north are rare and narrow. The ground floor consists mainly of parts for agricultural use, barn, press. The floor is served by a staircase opening on the inner courtyard MR 6.
The western part, completely rebuilt in the nineteenth century, is divided into three floors – including attic attics – to house Xavier Branicki’s guests; the doors of the many rooms are even numbered. The mullioned windows, on the south side, but especially on the north side, are much wider than in the medieval building RM 6. Even further west, an orangery adjoining the outbuildings also dates from the nineteenth century.
城堡的附屬建築是圍繞圍場的北部建造的。該建築的東部建於Bueil的約翰四世，作為一個獨立的住宅，可以追溯到十四世紀，但地板由Xavier Branicki翻新。建築的這一部分保留了堡壘的防禦性職業的痕跡：閣樓擁有前人行道的遺跡和向北開放的窗戶是罕見和狹窄的。底層主要包括農業用途，穀倉，壓榨部件。樓層由內部庭院MR 6的樓梯開放。
西部部分在十九世紀完全重建，分為三層 – 包括閣樓閣樓 – 以容納Xavier Branicki的客人;許多房間的門都是偶數。南側的直windows窗，尤其是北側的窗戶，比中世紀建築RM 6寬得多。再往西，與附屬建築相鄰的橘園也可以追溯到十九世紀。
Don’t you think it’s addictive?
Want to know more about the beauty of architecture?
Come and join our members to explore the beauty of architectural design.
The above article is purely for appreciation and sharing purposes, as well as the construction of new technology and the public can be in-depth understanding of the information at the same time there are sources, will be able to query, no use of the document as a commercial transaction, if illegal, please inform the We will immediately remove the site, thank you for cooperation.