Hohenzollern Castle 霍亨索倫城堡

Hohenzollern Castle (German: About this soundBurg Hohenzollern (help·info)) is the ancestral seat of the imperial House of Hohenzollern. The third of three hilltop castles built on the site, it is located atop Mount Hohenzollern, above and south of Hechingen, on the edge of the Swabian Jura of central Baden-Württemberg, Germany.

The first castle on the mountain was constructed in the early 11th century. Over the years the House of Hohenzollern split several times, but the castle remained in the Swabian branch, the dynastic seniors of the Franconian-Brandenburgian cadet branch that later acquired its own imperial throne. This castle was completely destroyed in 1423 after a ten-month siege by the free imperial cities of Swabia.

The second castle, a larger and sturdier structure, was constructed from 1454 to 1461, which served as a refuge for the Catholic Swabian Hohenzollerns, including during the Thirty Years’ War. By the end of the 18th century it was thought to have lost its strategic importance and gradually fell into disrepair, leading to the demolition of several dilapidated buildings.

The third, and current, castle was built between 1846 and 1867 as a family memorial by Hohenzollern scion King Frederick William IV of Prussia. Architect Friedrich August Stüler based his design on English Gothic Revival architecture and the Châteaux of the Loire Valley. No member of the Hohenzollern family was in permanent or regular residence when it was completed, and none of the three German Emperors of the late 19th and early 20th century German Empire ever occupied the castle; in 1945 it briefly became the home of the former Crown Prince Wilhelm of Germany, son of the last Hohenzollern monarch, Kaiser Wilhelm II.

Among the historical artifacts of Prussian history contained in the castle are the Crown of Wilhelm II, some of the personal effects of King Frederick the Great, and a letter from US President George Washington thanking Hohenzollern descendant Baron von Steuben for his service in the American Revolutionary War.

Hohenzollern城堡(德語:關於這個聲音Burg Hohenzollern(幫助·信息))是皇家霍亨索倫家族的祖先所在地。這三座山頂城堡中的第三座建在該遺址上,位於Hechingen上方和南部的Hohenzollern山頂上,位於德國巴登 – 符騰堡州中部的Swabian Jura邊緣。

山上的第一座城堡建於11世紀初。多年來,霍亨索倫家族多次分裂,但城堡仍然留在施瓦本分支,法蘭克 – 勃蘭登堡軍校學生的王朝前輩,後來獲得了自己的帝王寶座。在被斯瓦比亞自由帝國城市圍困十個月後,這座城堡在1423年被徹底摧毀。


第三座現在的城堡建於1846年至1867年間,是普魯士的霍亨索倫國王弗雷德里克威廉四世的家族紀念館。建築師FriedrichAugustStüler的設計基於英國哥特式複興建築和盧瓦爾河谷的城堡。 Hohenzollern家族的成員在完成時沒有永久居住或定期居住,並且19世紀末和20世紀初德意志帝國的三位德國皇帝都沒有佔領城堡; 1945年,它成為德國前王儲威廉王子的故居,他是最後一位霍亨索倫君主威廉二世的兒子。


General information
Type:Palace, Castle
Architectural style:Gothic Revival
Town or city:Bisingen, Zollernalbkreis
Coordinates:48°19′23.5″N 8°58′3.8″ECoordinates: 48°19′23.5″N 8°58′3.8″E
Elevation:855 meters (2,805 ft) (NHN)
Named for:House of Hohenzollern
Owner:Georg Friedrich, Prince of Prussia (3/4)
Karl Friedrich, Prince of Hohenzollern (1/4)
Affiliation:House of Hohenzollern
Design and construction
Architect:Friedrich August Stüler

坐標:48°19’23.5“N 8°58’3.8”ECoordinates:48°19’23.5“N 8°58’3.8”E

Hohenzollern Castle is a hilltop castle located on the Berg Hohenzollern, an isolated promontory of the Swabian Jura 855 meters (2,805 ft) (NHN) above sea level, 234 meters (768 ft) above and to the south of Hechingen, Germany approximately 50 kilometers (31 mi) south of Stuttgart, capital of Baden-Württemberg. This mountain lends its name to the local geographic region, der Zollernalbkreis, and is known among locals as Zollerberg (Zoller Mountain), or simply Zoller.

Hohenzollern城堡是一座山頂城堡,位於Berg Hohenzollern,一個位於海拔855米(2,805英尺)(NHN)的Swabian Jura的孤立海角,海拔234米(768英尺),位於德國Hechingen以南約50公里處。 (31英里)巴登 – 符騰堡州首府斯圖加特以南。 這座山的名字來源於當地的地理區域,Zollernalbkreis,在當地人中稱為Zollerberg(Zoller Mountain),或者僅僅是Zoller。

First and Second castles
Only written records exist of the original castle built in the High Middle Ages, built by the Counts of Zollern. Although the House of Hohenzollern itself finds its first mention in 1061, the castle is first mentioned as “Castro Zolre” in 1267, without any mention of the castle beyond its name, though contemporary sources praised it as the “crown of all castles in Swabia.” In 1423 the castle was totally destroyed after a year-long siege by the Swabian League of Cities.

Construction on a second, stronger castle began in 1454. It was captured by Württemberger troops in 1634 midway in the Thirty Years’ War (1618–1648), then fell under Habsburg control for about a century. During the War of the Austrian Succession (1740–1748) it was occupied in the winter of 1744/45 by French soldiers. Returned to Habsburg control after the war, it was rarely occupied and began to fall to ruin after the last Austrian owner left the castle in 1798. By the beginning of the 19th century only the Chapel of St. Michael remained usable.

只有在Zollern的Counts建造的高中世紀建造的原始城堡的書面記錄。儘管霍亨索倫故居本身在1061年首次提到,但這座城堡在1267年首次被稱為“卡斯特羅佐爾”,沒有提到超越其名稱的城堡,儘管當代消息來源稱讚它為“施瓦本所有城堡的王冠” “。 1423年,斯瓦比亞城市聯盟長達一年之後,城堡被完全摧毀。


Third castle
The current castle was built by Hohenzollern scion Crown-Prince Frederick William IV of Prussia. Traveling through southern Germany en route to Italy in 1819 he wished to learn about his family’s roots, so climbed to the top of Mount Hohenzollern. He would write in 1844 as King:

The memory of the year 19, to me is exceedingly lovely, and like a beautiful dream, especially the sunset we saw from one of the castle bastions. Now is a desire, a dream of youth, to see Hohenzollern Castle again made habitable.

He engaged Friedrich August Stüler, who had been appointed Architect of the King for the rebuilding of Stolzenfels Castle in 1842 while still a student and heir of Karl Friedrich Schinkel, to design a new castle. Stüler began work on an ornate design influenced by English Gothic Revival architecture and the Châteaux of the Loire Valley[1] in 1846. The impressive entryway is the work of the Engineer-Officer Moritz Karl Ernst von Prittwitz, considered the leading fortifications engineer in Prussia. The sculptures around and inside the castle are the work of Gustav Willgohs. Like Neuschwanstein Castle in Bavaria, Hohenzollern Castle is a monument to German Romanticism which incorporated an idealized vision of a medieval knight’s castle. Lacking some of the fantastic elements and excesses of Neuschwanstein, the castle’s construction served to enhance the reputation of the Prussian Royal Family.

Construction began in 1850, and was funded entirely by the Brandenburg-Prussian and the Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen lines of the Hohenzollern family. Construction was completed on 3 October 1867, under Frederick William IV’s brother King William I.

After the castle was rebuilt, it was not regularly occupied, but rather used primarily as a showpiece. None of the Hohenzollern Kaisers of the German Empire lived there; only the last Prussian Crown Prince William stayed for several months following his flight from Potsdam ahead of Soviet army forces during the closing months of World War II. He and his wife Crown Princess Cecilie are buried there, as the family’s estates in Brandenburg had been occupied by the Soviet Union at the time of their deaths.

Starting in 1952, Prince Louis Ferdinand of Prussia began adding valuable artwork and Prussian memorabilia from the collections of the Hohenzollern family and the former Hohenzollern Museum in Schloss Monbijou. Two of the major pieces are the Crown of Wilhelm II and a uniform that belonged to King Frederick the Great. From 1952 until 1991 the caskets of Frederick Wilhelm I and his son Frederick the Great were in the chapel, but were moved back to Potsdam following German reunification in 1991.

The castle was damaged in an earthquake on 3 September 1978, and was under repair until the mid-1990s.

現在的城堡是由普魯士的霍亨索倫王子弗雷德里克威廉四世建造的。 1819年,他在前往意大利的途中穿越德國南部,希望了解他家族的根源,因此爬到了霍亨索倫山頂。他將在1844年寫為國王:


他聘請了弗里德里希·奧古斯特·斯圖勒(FriedrichAugustStüler),他曾在1842年被任命為國王建築師,負責重建Stolzenfels城堡,同時還是Karl Friedrich Schinkel的學生和繼承人,設計了一座新城堡。 Stüler於1846年開始研究受英國哥特式複興建築和盧瓦爾河谷城堡影響的華麗設計。令人印象深刻的入口是工程師兼官員Moritz Karl Ernst von Prittwitz的作品,被認為是普魯士領先的防禦工程師。城堡周圍和內部的雕塑是Gustav Willgohs的作品。像巴伐利亞的新天鵝堡一樣,霍亨索倫城堡是德國浪漫主義的紀念碑,融合了中世紀騎士城堡的理想視野。由於缺乏新天鵝堡的一些奇妙元素和過剩,這座城堡的建築有助於提升普魯士王室的聲譽。

建築始於1850年,完全由勃蘭登堡 – 普魯士和Hohenzollern家族的Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen系列資助。施工於1867年10月3日完成,由弗雷德里克威廉四世的兄弟威廉一世完成。


從1952年開始,普魯士王子路易斯·費迪南德開始在Schloss Monbijou的Hohenzollern家族和前Hohenzollern博物館收藏珍貴的藝術品和普魯士紀念品。兩件主要作品是威廉二世之冠和一件屬於弗雷德里克大帝的製服。從1952年到1991年,弗雷德里克·威廉一世和他的兒子弗雷德里克大帝的棺材都在教堂裡,但在1991年德國統一後被移回波茨坦。


With over 350,000 visitors per year Hohenzollern castle is one of the most visited castles in Germany. The castle is privately owned by the House of Hohenzollern, with two-thirds belonging to the Brandenburg-Prussian branch, and the balance to the Swabian branch. Since 1952, the Princess Kira of Prussia Foundation has used the castle for an annual summer camp for children. Whenever Prince George and his family are staying at the castle, the Prussian flag flies over the castle.

In 2015, parts of the 2016 thriller-horror film A Cure for Wellness were filmed at the castle, closing it from 13–24 July 2015. Hohenzollern Castle as well as Peckforton Castle in England were also used in the filming of the 2017 TV adaption of The Worst Witch.

Hohenzollern城堡每年有超過350,000名遊客,是德國訪問量最大的城堡之一。 該城堡由霍亨索倫家族私人擁有,其中三分之二屬於勃蘭登堡 – 普魯士分支,餘下為施瓦本分支。 自1952年以來,普魯士基金會的基拉公主一直使用這座城堡參加一年一度的兒童夏令營。 每當喬治王子和他的家人住在城堡時,普魯士國旗就會飛過城堡。

2015年,2016年驚悚恐怖電影A Cure for Wellness的部分拍攝於城堡,於2015年7月13日至24日關閉.Hohenzollern城堡以及英格蘭的Peckforton城堡也被用於拍攝2017年的電視改編 最壞的女巫。

Hohenzollern Castle, covering almost all of Mount Hohenzollern’s summit, is a structure composed of four primary parts: military architecture, the palatial buildings, chapels, and the gardens.

Military architecture
The Eagle Gate (German: Adlertor) and its attached drawbridge form the entrance to the castle. The castle’s winding zwinger turns four times and terminates in the bastions. From here, the palatial buildings can be accessed through the square upper gate and so are the rest of the bastions.

Palace, St Michael’s chapel, and the courtyard.
The palace itself, sitting upon the outline of the second castle, is an open-air museum arranged in a u-shape that ends with Protestant and Catholic chapels. Sitting on top of the old casemates are the three story Gothic Revival buildings of Friedrich August Stüler’s design, decorated with towers and pinnacles. The four towers of the palace are aligned to the bastions, with the Emperor’s Tower to the Fuchsloch bastion, Bishop’s Tower to the Spitz bastion, Markgraf Tower to the Scharfeck bastion, and Michael’s Tower to the garden bastion. Attached to the main residential building, the Count’s Hall, is the final tower, the Watch Tower (German: Wartturm), which functions both as a staircase to the library and as the flag pole whenever the Hohenzollern family is residing in the castle.

A perron leads up to the ancestry hall, where one enters the Count’s Hall (German: Grafensaal), which covers the entirety of the southern wing. The rib vaulting of the Count’s Hall, adorned with grisailles by Stüler depicting the history of the House of Hohenzollern and pointed-arch windows, is supported by eight free standing red marble columns. Below the Count’s Hall is the old castle kitchen, today a treasure chamber. Next to the Count’s Hall is the Emperor’s Tower and the Bishop’s Niche, following the library decorated with murals of the Hohenzollern history by Wilhelm Peters. The Margrave’s Tower contains the King’s parlor, also referred to as the Margrave’s room, contrary to Stüler’s terminology.



宮殿本身坐落在第二座城堡的輪廓上,是一座露天博物館,以U形排列,以新教和天主教教堂為終點。坐落在舊案例之上的是弗里德里希·奧古斯特·斯圖勒(FriedrichAugustStüler)設計的三層哥特式複興建築,裝飾著塔樓和尖塔。宮殿的四座塔樓與堡壘對齊,Emperor’s Tower塔樓位於Fuchsloch堡壘,Bishop’s Tower塔樓位於Spitz堡壘,Markgraf塔樓位於Scharfeck堡壘,邁克爾塔樓位於花園堡壘。 Count’s Hall附屬於主要住宅樓,是最後一座塔樓,即鐘樓(德語:Wartturm),既可以作為圖書館的樓梯,也可以作為Hohenzollern家族居住在城堡中的旗桿。

一個perron通向祖先大廳,在那裡進入伯爵大廳(德語:Grafensaal),覆蓋整個南翼。伯爵大廳的肋骨拱門由Stüler裝飾著描繪霍亨索倫宮和尖拱窗戶的歷史,由八個獨立的紅色大理石柱支撐。 Count’s Hall下面是古老的城堡廚房,今天是一個寶藏室。伯爵大廳旁邊是皇帝大廈和主教的利基,在圖書館裝飾著威廉·彼得斯的霍亨索倫歷史壁畫之後。 Margrave’s Tower包含King’s客廳,也被稱為Margrave的房間,與Stüler的術語相反。


FROM:Hohenzollern Castle Aerials – Germany in 4K UHD

FROM:STREET VIEW: Die Burg Hohenzollern bei Hechingen in GERMANY

Don’t you think it’s addictive?
Want to know more about the beauty of architecture?
Come and join our members to explore the beauty of architectural design.




The above article is purely for appreciation and sharing purposes, as well as the construction of new technology and the public can be in-depth understanding of the information at the same time there are sources, will be able to query, no use of the document as a commercial transaction, if illegal, please inform the We will immediately remove the site, thank you for cooperation.



We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.


Log in with your credentials


Forgot your details?

Create Account