The Fullerton Hotel Singapore 富勒頓酒店新加坡
The Fullerton Hotel Singapore is a five-star luxury hotel located near the mouth of the Singapore River, in the Downtown Core of the Central Area, Singapore. It was originally known as the Fullerton Building, and also as the General Post Office Building. The address is 1 Fullerton Square. The Fullerton Building was named after Robert Fullerton, the first Governor of the Straits Settlements (1826–1829). Commissioned in 1924 as part of the British colony’s centennial celebrations, the building was designed as an office building by Major P.H. Keys of Keys & Dowdeswell, a Shanghai firm of architects, which won the project through an architectural design competition. The architectural firm also designed the Capitol Theatre, its adjoined Capitol Building and the Singapore General Hospital.
新加坡浮爾頓酒店是一家五星級豪華酒店，位於新加坡河口附近，位於新加坡中心區的市中心。 它最初被稱為富勒頓大廈，也被稱為郵政總局大樓。 地址是1富勒頓廣場。 富勒頓大廈以海峽殖民地第一任州長羅伯特·富勒頓（1826-1829）的名字命名。 作為英國殖民地百年慶典的一部分，該建築於1924年投入使用，該建築被設計為P.H.少校的辦公樓。 Key＆Dowdeswell的鑰匙，一家上海建築公司，通過建築設計競賽贏得了該項目。 該建築公司還設計了國會大廈劇院，毗鄰的國會大廈和新加坡綜合醫院。
Architectural style:Neo classical
Location:Downtown Core Singapore
Address:1 Fullerton Square, Singapore 049178
Coordinates:Coordinates: 1°17′10″N 103°51′10″E
Current tenants:General Post Office (former)
Singapore Club (former)
The Exchange (former)
Marine Department (former)
Import and Export Department (former)
Named for:Robert Fullerton
Construction started:February 1924
Opened:27 June 1928
Owner:Precious Treasure Pte Ltd
Affiliation:The Fullerton Heritage
Floor count:9 (including 1 basement)
Floor area:41,100 sqm
Design and construction
Architect:Keys & Dowdeswell
Developer:Far East Organization
Sino Land Company Limited
Services engineer:Express Lift Company, Public Works Department
Main contractor:Perry & Co. Overseas Ltd.
Architect:Tay Lee Soon
Renovating firm:Evelyn Houng Architects 61 Pte Ltd
Structural engineer:Oscar Faber Asia Pte Ltd
Civil engineer:Oscar Faber Asia Pte Ltd
Other designers:Hirsch Bedner Associates
Main contractor:Dragages Singapore Pte Ltd
Number of rooms:400
Number of restaurants:3
Number of bars:2
地址：1 Fullerton Square，Singapore 049178
所有者：Precious Treasure Pte Ltd.
服務工程師：Express Lift Company，Public Works Department
建築師：Tay Lee Soon
翻新公司：Evelyn Houng Architects 61 Pte Ltd.
結構工程師：Oscar Faber Asia Pte Ltd.
土木工程師：Oscar Faber Asia Pte Ltd.
其他設計師：Hirsch Bedner Associates
主承包商：Dragages Singapore Pte Ltd.
The northern end of the building covers the site of Fort Fullerton, a fort built in 1829 to defend the settlement against any naval attacks. The fort consisted of an Artillery Barrack, a house for the officers, barracks for soldiers and a 68-pounder gun guarding the entrance to the river which used to stand on the location known as Fullerton square. In 1843, the fort was extended after a sandstone monolith, the Singapore Stone, with an inscription possibly dating back to the 13th century was demolished. The Singapore stone was, unfortunately, destroyed by the British. A fragment of this monolith was salvaged and preserved in the collection of the National Museum at Stamford Road. However, there were several criticisms as well as apprehensions regarding the building of Fort Fullerton. Merchants thought that it was a waste to use the prime location of the city for military instead of trading purpose, which would have prevented Singapore from generating more revenue and boosting its trading business. They were also worried that they would be in the direct line of fire if there were any attacks on the fort because the offices along the Singapore River were situated within close proximity to the fort. The fort was also said to be incapable of deterring any potential attacks from the sea, and had very low efficacy. Following these criticisms, the fort was finally demolished in 1873. The fort gave way to the first General Post Office and the Exchange Building in 1874. Plans to erect Fullerton Building were drawn up in 1920. However, due to a lack of funds, construction only began in February 1924.During the initial groundwork, excavations revealed the gun casements of the old Fort Fullerton. In fact, the Fullerton Building was built over reclaimed land. Built at a cost of $4.1 million and after delays of a few months, the building was completed in June 1928.
The Fullerton Building was opened on 27 June 1928 by the Governor, Sir Hugh Clifford, who suggested the building be named after Robert Fullerton. The building had five founding tenants: the General Post Office, The Exchange, Singapore Club (now Singapore Town Club), the Marine Department, and the Import and Export Department (later the Ministry of Trade and Industry). It also housed the Chamber of Commerce, and various government departments dealing with agriculture, fisheries and forestry. One of the rooms in the Fullerton Building was where the late Finance Minister, Dr Goh Keng Swee, wrote many of his budget speeches for Singapore. The building was designed to utilize natural ventilation, thus has four internal air-wells to cool the interiors.
Fullerton Square was an important commerce area in Singapore attracting many European immigrants and soon became the core of major business activity. Many European businesses were set up at Fullerton Square together with large banks such as the Chartered Bank and Hong Kong and Shanghai Banks. The Fullerton Building was built with Grandeur, Class and being the biggest structure built in Singapore displaying the authority and power of the British Colonial rule. In addition, The Fullerton Building operated with tax payers money meant as a government building, housed the Club for the Colonial Elite which was an exclusive club that took up almost 7,000 sq m of the upper floors which further elaborated the position and authority that the British has in Singapore.
There was also a lighthouse on the Fullerton Building, called the Fullerton Light, which was used to guide the ships ashore and to anchor along the piers. It was built to replace the Fort Canning Light, which was decommissioned in 1979 since it was gradually blocked because of globalization and the construction of more high-rise buildings in Singapore. The location of the previous lighthouse is now being occupied by The Lighthouse Restaurant, to keep up with the modern style of the Fullerton Hotel.
該建築的北端覆蓋了富勒頓堡（Fort Fullerton）遺址，該堡壘建於1829年，用於保衛該定居點免受任何海軍襲擊。堡壘包括一個砲兵營房，一個軍官的房子，士兵營房和一個68磅重的槍支守衛河的入口，這條河曾經站在被稱為富勒頓廣場的地方。 1843年，這座堡壘延伸至砂岩巨石 – 新加坡石碑之後，其碑文可追溯至13世紀，並被拆除。不幸的是，新加坡的石頭被英國人摧毀了。這塊巨石的一個片段被打撈並保存在斯坦福道國家博物館的藏品中。然而，有幾個批評以及對富勒頓堡建築的擔憂。商人認為，將城市的黃金地段用於軍事而非交易目的是浪費，這將阻止新加坡創造更多收入並促進其貿易業務。如果因為新加坡河沿岸的辦公室位於堡壘附近，他們還擔心如果有任何攻擊堡壘，他們會直接射擊。據說該堡壘無法阻止任何來自海洋的潛在攻擊，並且效力非常低。在這些批評之後，堡壘最終於1873年被拆除。堡壘在1874年讓位於第一郵政總局和交易所大樓。建立富勒頓大廈的計劃於1920年制定。但是，由於缺乏資金，建築僅在1924年2月才開始。在最初的基礎工作中，挖掘工作揭示了舊富勒頓堡的砲彈。事實上，富樂頓大廈建在填海土地上。該建築耗資410萬美元，經過幾個月的延遲，於1928年6月完工。
富勒頓大廈於1928年6月27日由總督休·克利福德爵士開幕，他建議以羅伯特富勒頓命名。該大樓有五個創始租戶：郵政總局，交易所，新加坡俱樂部（現為新加坡城鎮俱樂部），海事處和進出口部（後來的貿易和工業部）。它還設有商會和處理農業，漁業和林業的各種政府部門。富勒頓大廈的其中一間房間是已故財政部長Goh Keng Swee博士為新加坡撰寫的許多預算演講稿。該建築設計為利用自然通風，因此有四個內部空氣井來冷卻內部。
富勒頓大廈（Fullerton Building）上還有一座燈塔，名為富勒頓燈（Fullerton Light），用於引導岸上的船隻並沿著碼頭錨定。它的建造是為了取代1979年退役的Fort Canning Light，因為全球化和在新加坡建造更多高層建築，它逐漸被封鎖。前燈塔的位置現在被燈塔餐廳佔據，以跟上富勒頓酒店的現代風格。
Keys and Dowdeswell was an established British international architecture company, their design works can be seen in buildings throughout China and South East Asia from 1920s to 1940s, some of the most prominent buildings in Kuala Lumpur and Singapore were designed by them. Their design works are usually with major significance to a historical period, geographical place and local culture tradition, with many of their buildings in the classical style.
Major Keys & Dowdeswell were established and distinguished designers of grand interior spaces and classical façades. They followed the principals of 20th-century Beaux-Arts tradition of classicism. Relating to some of their core principals in design, they are largely Monumental and Ornamental.
The grey Aberdeen granite Fullerton Building sits on 41,100 square metres (442,400 square feet) of land. The height of its walls measures 36.6 metres (120 ft) from the ground. The building has Neo-classical architectural features which include a two-storey fluted Doric colonnades on their heavy base, and the lofty portico over the main entrance with trophy designs and the Royal Coat of Arms, crafted by Italian Cavaliere Rudolfo Nolli. Originally, there were five distinct frontages, each treated in the Doric order. 14 elevators served the four floors plus the basement floors. A hollow cellular raft foundation was proposed by the original contractors in the 1920s to save cost because bedrock lies directly below the building. The Fullerton Building also possesses the one and only barrel-vaulted, coffered ceiling in Singapore.
灰色的Aberdeen花崗岩富勒頓大廈佔地41,100平方米（442,400平方英尺）。其高度距離地面36.6米（120英尺）。該建築擁有新古典主義建築特色，包括在其重型基座上的兩層凹槽Doric柱廊，以及由意大利Cavaliere Rudolfo Nolli精心設計的獎杯設計和皇家徽章的高聳門廊。最初，有五個不同的正面，每個正面以多立克的順序處理。四層樓和地下室樓層共有14部電梯。 20世紀20年代原始承包商提出了一個中空的蜂窩筏基礎，以節省成本，因為基岩直接位於建築物下方。富樂頓大廈還擁有新加坡唯一的桶形拱形天花板。
The Fullerton Building restoration project from 1998 to 2000 was a difficult conservation project that involved an institutional building. Architects 61, together with DP Consultants, was engaged to convert it into a 400-room luxury hotel. The hotel rooms were designed by Hirsch Bedner Associates.
During its redevelopment, the historical building had most of its special architectural features retained and restored. The conservation work was coordinated by the URA, which had certain stipulations that the new owners had to comply with. Several features of the original building had to be restored faithfully. These included the General Post Office gallery area on the ground floor, with bays that corresponded with the building’s towering Doric columns on the façade, and the Straits Club Billiard Room. The post office gallery no longer exists, but has been subdivided to provide a bar, a restaurant and the hotel foyer. The Straits Club Billiard Room was kept, but without its wood panelling.
1998年至2000年的富勒頓大樓修復工程是一項涉及機構建設的艱難保護項目。建築師事務所61與DP顧問合作，將其轉變為一家擁有400間客房的豪華酒店。酒店客房由Hirsch Bedner Associates設計。
The building’s neo-classical columns and high-ceiling verandas were retained. It was clad in Shanghai plaster panels, which have been restored. The owners converted the windows back to be housed in timber frames. Part of the tunnel under Fullerton Road, which was used to transfer mail onto ships waiting in the harbour, has also been kept.
While the building’s exterior has been conserved, the architects had also to transform the interior into a five-star hotel. The room on the fourth storey, where the British Governor was first told of the British military’s decision to surrender to the Japanese during World War II, was converted to an exclusive lounge. The room has a barrel-vaulted, coffered ceiling, which is the only one of its kind in Singapore.
The building’s historical lighthouse, which used to guide ships into the port, has been incorporated into a food and beverage outlet. The Fullerton Light, a revolving beacon of 540 kilocandelas mounted on the roof of the building, was installed in 1958 to replace the Fort Canning Lighthouse which was being demolished. The beacon could be seen by ships 29 kilometres (15.7 nautical miles) away. The Lighthouse has been moved to a new location as an artefact near Harbour Front Tower.
The Fullerton Building was designed for natural ventilation before the age of air-conditioning; one of the architectural devices used to provide this was the internal air-wells. There were four air-wells along the central longitudinal axis, divided by three internal bays of offices, linking the front façade with the rear. It was the largest and the last example of this kind of architecture in Singapore. As air-conditioning became increasingly common, the air-wells became redundant.
Two parallel sets of guest rooms now ring the hotel’s central triangular sky-lit atrium. One row faces out towards the harbour and the tall buildings of the central business district. The rooms of the inner ring have views of the courtyard in the centre of the building. There is an indoor garden over the old Straits Club at the centre of the atrium which can double as a venue for cocktails. The main entrance into the hotel, where dignitaries and celebrities are received, is covered with a large glass canopy at the porch.
Structural and foundation works
Construction work in the interior was carried out to reinforce the beams and columns, while retrofitting done on the exterior to restore the façade.
Although studies carried out before the renovation work began showed most of the raft foundation was still in good condition, water from the adjacent Singapore River had seeped slowly into some of the foundation’s cells over the years, flooding parts of the old basement. As a result, a new precast concrete platform was built over the cells, and waterproofing added. Pillars supporting the entire building now rest on the platform. The engineering team installed a new set of five drainage pumps to counteract the slow seepage of river water. As the building sits on solid rock foundation, no additional piling was required.
Don’t you think it’s addictive?
Want to know more about the beauty of architecture?
Come and join our members to explore the beauty of architectural design.
The above article is purely for appreciation and sharing purposes, as well as the construction of new technology and the public can be in-depth understanding of the information at the same time there are sources, will be able to query, no use of the document as a commercial transaction, if illegal, please inform the We will immediately remove the site, thank you for cooperation.