The Salutation Hotel & Restaurant
Designed in 1911 by Sir Edwin Lutyens in Queen Anne style, it was one of the first 20th-century buildings to be given a Grade I listing, in 1950.Lutyens also designed the gardens; they were a wreck when Steph and Dom took them on and employed Steve Edney as dedicated head gardener. He has superbly restored the gardens and created a living, evolving project, open daily to the public. This outdoor space is also a great asset for The Salutation’s guests, gazing across the various themed “garden rooms” and along the magnificent cylindrical holm oak walk.
由Edwin Lutyens先生於1911年設計的安妮女王風格，它是1950年首批獲得一級上市的建築之一.Lutyens還設計了花園; 當Steph和Dom接過他們並聘請Steve Edney作為專門的園藝師時，他們是一個殘骸。 他精心修復了花園，創造了一個生活，不斷發展的項目，每天向公眾開放。 這個戶外空間也是The Salutation酒店客人的重要資產，可以欣賞各種主題的“花園客房”以及宏偉的圓柱形聖櫟樹步道。
The house is at eastern end of Upper Strand Street in Sandwich, with the Quay beside the River Stour to the north and St Clement’s church to the south. It is named after an inn that used to occupy part of the site. The plot of 3.7 acres (1.5 ha) is surrounded by boundary walls of flint, stone and brick, including part of the Sandwich town wall, and the site includes several older grade II ancillary buildings.
The main entrance leads east from Knightrider Street, through an arch formed by Lutyens through two-storey 18th century brick buildings, supported by a plaster cornice, to a forecourt in front of the west façade of the house. The main house is a rectangular red brick block with stone quoins, comprising two storeys, plus attic and semi-basement. The west front is symmetrical with seven bays, the central bay and two neighbouring narrow bays projecting slightly, topped by a tile hipped roof with three dormer windows and two tall brick chimney stacks. A single-storey wing to the north was originally servants’ quarters, in a more vernacular Kentish style also with two tall brick chimneys. The east façade similarly has seven bays, with three French windows on the ground floor and a sundial in the central bay of the first floor, and four dormer windows in the roof. The south façade has five bays and three dormers.
The interior, approximately 1,060 square metres (11,400 sq ft) excluding the attic, is based on a Palladian 3×3 grid, with an unusual cut-out in the north façade to allow light to reach the central stairs, creating a U-shape. Steps sweep up from the forecourt to double entrance doors in the west façade, with carved stone door case and broken pediment. The reception hall has two corkscrew columns, and leads to five principal rooms on the ground floor: one to either side of the hall – the wood-panelled library and another room – and three across the east front – a kitchen, oval dining room and drawing room. A passageway leads to the single-storey north wing, which includes the main kitchen. Stairs lead down to the cellar, and a wide central staircase provides access to the bedrooms on the first and second floors.
這座房子位於Sandwich的Upper Strand街的東端，北邊是Stour河邊的Quay，南邊是St Clement教堂。它以曾經佔據該網站一部分的旅館命名。佔地3.7英畝（1.5公頃）的地塊周圍環繞著燧石，石頭和磚塊的邊界牆，包括三明治城牆的一部分，該場地包括幾座較舊的二級輔助建築。
內部面積約1,060平方米（11,400平方英尺），不包括閣樓，採用Palladian 3×3網格，北立面採用不同尋常的切口，可讓光線到達中央樓梯，形成U形。步驟從前院掃到西立面的雙入口門，雕刻石門盒和破碎的山形牆。接待大廳有兩個開瓶器柱，通往一樓的五個主要房間：一個到大廳的兩側 – 木板圖書館和另一個房間 – 三個橫跨東面 – 一個廚房，橢圓形的餐廳和客廳。一條通道通往單層北翼，其中包括主廚房。樓梯通向地窖，寬敞的中央樓梯可通往一樓和二樓的臥室。
Three sets of French windows from the dining room lead out of the east front to a garden terrace, with stone steps down to a rectangular garden to the east which has wide mixed borders containing herbaceous plants and shrubs. The garden was probably also originally designed by Lutyens, but inspired by his collaborations with Gertrude Jekyll (no record remains of her direct involvement). A further triangular area of the garden lies the south, with yew hedges and roses. The 3.7 acres (1.5 ha) gardens also include a kitchen garden and tropical garden, an informal water garden to the north with “Lake Patricia” installed in the 1960s, extensive collections of dahlias and echinops, a jungle garden, and an avenue of holm oaks.
The gardens took several years to recover from seawater flooding after Cyclone Xaver caused a tidal surge on the River Stour on 6 December 2013.
餐廳的三扇落地窗從東面引出，通往花園露台，石階向下延伸到東邊的一個長方形花園，花園寬闊的混合邊界包含草本植物和灌木。 花園可能最初也是由Lutyens設計的，但是受到了他與Gertrude Jekyll的合作的啟發（沒有她直接參與的記錄）。 花園的另一個三角形區域位於南部，有紅豆杉樹籬和玫瑰。 佔地3.7英畝（1.5公頃）的花園還包括一個廚房花園和熱帶花園，北面是一個非正式的水上花園，20世紀60年代安裝了“Lake Patricia湖”，大量的大麗花和echinops，叢林花園和一個大道橡樹。
Henry Farrer, son of solicitor Sir William Farrer, commissioned Sir Edwin Lutyens to design and built the house in 1911–12. It was occupied by Henry and his two brothers (all bachelors) William (also solicitor, like Henry and their father) and Gaspard Farrer (a partner at Barings Bank). Lutyens also build a town house for the brothers at 7 St James’s Square, and renovated the premises of the law firm Farrer & Co in Lincoln’s Inn Fields.
After the death of Henry Farrer, the house was inherited by his brother Gaspard. Following Gaspard’s death in 1948, it was bought by sculptor Leonard Harold Robert Byng. It was sold in 1977 and run as a plant nursery. Items on the house were published in Country Life in 13 and 20 September 1962, 10 September 1981 and 1 September 1983.
After various proposals for redevelopment were rejected, the house remained in private ownership. It was sold for £2.6m in 2004 to Dominic and Stephanie Parker, who renovated the house and garden, and used it to run an up-market bed and breakfast establishment. They later became known from their appearances on Channel 4’s television programme Gogglebox. The B&B appeared in episode 19 of the fourth series of Channel 4’s Four in a Bed in 2013. The house was put up for sale in April 2013 for £4.5m. The house was sold in December 2016 after the asking price was dropped to £3.5m.
After a period of refurbishment, the building reopened as a hotel and restaurant in 2017.
律師威廉·法瑞爾（Sir William Farrer）的兒子亨利·法瑞爾（Henry Farrer）委託埃德溫·魯滕斯爵士（Sir Edwin Lutyens）在1911年至12年間設計和建造這座房子。它被亨利和他的兩個兄弟（所有單身漢）威廉（也是律師，像亨利和他們的父親）和加斯帕德法瑞爾（巴林銀行的合夥人）所佔據。 Lutyens還為聖詹姆斯廣場7號的兄弟建造了一座聯排別墅，並對林肯的Inn Fields的Farrer＆Co律師事務所進行了翻新。
Don’t you think it’s addictive?
Want to know more about the beauty of architecture?
Come and join our members to explore the beauty of architectural design.
The above article is purely for appreciation and sharing purposes, as well as the construction of new technology and the public can be in-depth understanding of the information at the same time there are sources, will be able to query, no use of the document as a commercial transaction, if illegal, please inform the We will immediately remove the site, thank you for cooperation.