Sherborne Abbey 謝爾本大教堂
The Abbey Church of St Mary the Virgin at Sherborne in the English county of Dorset, is usually called Sherborne Abbey. It has been a Saxon cathedral (705–1075), a Benedictine abbey (998–1539), and since 1539, a parish church of the Church of England.
Denomination:Church of England
Rector:The Revd Canon Eric Woods
Vicar(s):The Revd Jane Crew
The Revd Lesley McCreadie
The Revd Jonathan Triffitt
Curate(s):The Revd Guntars Reboks
The Revd Richard Wyld
Organist/Director of music:Paul Ellis
校長：Revd Canon Eric Woods
牧師：Revd Jane Crew
Revd Lesley McCreadie
Revd Jonathan Triffitt
Curate（s）：Revd Guntars Reboks
Revd Richard Wyld
It is believed that there was a Celtic Christian church called Lanprobi here as early as AD658 when it was part of the Celtic Kingdom of Dumnonia, and Kenwalc or Cenwalh, King of the West Saxons is believed to be one of its founders.
When the Saxon Diocese of Sherborne was founded in 705, to relieve pressure from the growing see of Winchester, by King Ine of Wessex, he set Aldhelm as first Bishop of the see of Western Wessex, with his seat at Sherborne. Aldhelm was the first of twenty-seven Bishops of Sherborne.
The twentieth bishop was Wulfsige III (or St. Wulfsin). In 998 he established a Benedictine abbey at Sherborne and became its first abbot. In 1075 the bishopric of Sherborne was transferred to Old Sarum, so Sherborne remained an abbey church but was no longer a cathedral. The bishop (in Old Sarum) remained the nominal head of the abbey until 1122, when Roger de Caen, Bishop of Salisbury, made the abbey independent.
Known Abbots include:
– Wulfsige III, 998; the first abbot and founder
– Bishop Alfwold, c1050
– Clemont, c1165
– Robert Bruyning, 1385-1415
– John Barnstaple, 1539
The Benedictine foundation at Sherborne ended in the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1539, when the abbey was surrendered to King Henry VIII. Various properties at Sherborne were bought from the king by Sir John Horsey who then sold the abbey to the people of Sherborne, who bought the building to be their parish church (as people of many other places did), which it still is. The original parish church alongside the abbey was demolished, though the foundations are still visible. In 1550, King Edward VI issued a new charter to the school that had existed at Sherborne since 705, and some of the remaining abbey buildings were turned over to it.
第二十位主教是Wulfsige III（或St. Wulfsin）。 998年，他在舍伯恩建立了本篤會修道院，並成為其第一位住持。在1075年，Sherborne的主教被轉移到Old Sarum，所以Sherborne仍然是一個修道院教堂，但不再是一個大教堂。主教（在舊薩魯姆）仍然是修道院的名義負責人，直到1122年，索爾茲伯里主教羅傑德卡恩使修道院獨立。
– Wulfsige III，998;第一位方丈和創始人
– Robert Bruyning，1385-1415
– John Barnstaple，1539
The Abbey is a Grade I listed building.It has several distinct architectural styles throughout. Saxon features still remain in some parts of the Abbey, mainly around the Western door. Roger of Caen demolished most of the Saxon church and replaced it with a much larger, Norman style church.
The Lady Chapel and Bishop Robert’s Chapel were added in the 13th century in the Early English style, and in the 15th century, the choir section was rebuilt in the Perpendicular style, including the fan-vaulting Sherborne is still famous for, the remodelling by William Smyth, under Abbot John Brunyng (1415–1436). The vaulting is believed to have finished in 1490.
During this renovation, a riot in the town caused a fire that damaged much of the renovation, causing delays. Traces of the fire’s effects can still be seen in the reddening of the walls under the Tower. The fire and its effects also caused the design of the Nave to be altered. Some of the Nave’s pillars are Norman piers cased in Perpendicular panelling.
St Katherine’s Chapel, built in the 14th century, but altered in the 15th, contains examples of early Renaissance classicism architecture
The whole building is around 240ft (73m) in length and 98 ft (30m) in width.
Lady Chapel和Bishop Robert’s Chapel於13世紀以英國早期風格加入，而在15世紀，合唱團部分以垂直風格重建，包括扇形跳躍舍伯恩仍然聞名於威廉的改造Smyth，在Abbot John Brunyng（1415-1436）之下。跳馬被認為已於1490年完成。
The North Nave Aisle, sometimes called the ‘Trinitie’ or ‘Dark’ Aisle (as it is overshadowed by the adjoining Cloisters) contains several colours from the 2nd Battalion Dorsetshire Regiment and the Dorsetshire Militia. The South Nave Aisle contains colours of the 1st Battalion Dorsetshire Regiment.
Memorials and tombs
The North Choir Aisle contains two tombs, believed to be the tombs of King Æthelbald of Wessex and his brother King Ethelbert of Wessex, elder brothers to Alfred the Great.
Inside the Wykeham chapel is the tomb of Sir John Horsey and his son. Horsey had bought the church after the Dissolution of the Monasteries and sold it to the townspeople. Also in the Chapel is the plainly marked tomb of the poet Sir Thomas Wyatt.
The South Transept contains an impressive baroque memorial to John Digby, 3rd Earl of Bristol, made of marble and designed by John Nost. Additionally there is a memorial to Robert and Mary Digby.
St Katherine’s Chapel contains the 16th century tomb of John Leweston and wife Joan. The Chapel was where Sir Walter Raleigh and Lady Raleigh attended services.
The North Aisle contains a memorial to Abbot Clement (1163) and an effigy to an unknown Prior, while the South Aisle contains an effigy of Abbot Lawrence of Bradford (1246).
The Digby Memorial, situated outside the Abbey, is a memorial to George Digby who provided a lot of funding for renovation work during the 19th century. It was built in 1884 and features statues of St Aldhelm, Bishop Roger of Salisbury (Roger de Caen), Abbot Bradford and Sir Walter Raleigh.
The Abbey’s organ, located in the North Transept was installed in 1856 by Gray & Davison, and completely rebuilt in 1955 by J. W. Walker & Sons Ltd, though that restoration’s action failed by 1987 and had to be replaced. The proposed scheme by Bishops supported by John Norman, Cecil Clutton and Patrick Moule favoured returning the organ to its Gray & Davison past but including a ‘Chair’ section instead of the Choir in order to try to overcome the difficulties of the position of the organ was bold but hardly in keeping historically and proved a to be musically and mechanically a disaster and increasingly unreliable so that after no more than twenty years it was necessary for the Organ to be rebuilt again in 2003/04 by Kenneth Tickell, so thoroughly as to make it effectively a new instrument in the old case. An additional nave organ was added, located under the West Window.
North Nave過道，有時被稱為“Trinitie”或“Dark”過道（因為它被相鄰的Cloisters所掩蓋）包含來自第二營Dorsetshire軍團和Dorsetshire民兵的幾種顏色。 South Nave Aisle包含第1營Dorsetshire軍團的顏色。
North Choir Aisle包含兩座墓葬，據信是威塞克斯國王Æthelbald和他的兄弟威塞克斯國王埃塞爾伯特，以及阿爾弗雷德大帝的兄弟。
在Wykeham教堂內是約翰·霍西爵士和他兒子的墳墓。在修道院解散後，霍西買下了教堂並把它賣給了市民。在教堂裡還有詩人Sir Thomas Wyatt的明顯標記的墳墓。
The South Transept包含一個令人印象深刻的巴洛克紀念碑，紀念布里斯托爾第三伯爵John Digby，由大理石製成，由John Nost設計。此外還有Robert和Mary Digby的紀念碑。
St Katherine’s Chapel包含16世紀的John Leweston墓和妻子Joan。教堂是沃爾特·羅利爵士和羅利夫人參加的服務。
North Aisle包含一個紀念Abbot Clement（1163）的紀念碑和一個未知的Pre的肖像，而South Aisle包含了Bradford的Abbot Lawrence（1246）的肖像。
位於修道院外的迪格比紀念館是紀念喬治迪格比的紀念碑，他為19世紀的翻新工作提供了大量資金。它建於1884年，擁有聖奧德海姆，索爾茲伯里主教羅傑（Roger de Caen），艾博特布拉德福德和沃爾特羅利爵士的雕像。
修道院的管風琴位於北Transept，於1856年由Gray＆Davison安裝，並於1955年由J. W. Walker＆Sons有限公司完全重建，儘管修復工作在1987年失敗並且必須更換。由約翰·諾曼，塞西爾·克拉頓和帕特里克·穆勒支持的主教提出的計劃傾向於將管風琴歸還其格雷和戴維森的過去，但包括一個“主席”部分而不是合唱團，以試圖克服器官位置的困難雖然歷史悠久但很難保持歷史，並且在音樂上和機械上都被證明是一場災難並且越來越不可靠，所以在不超過二十年之後，有必要在2003/04年由Kenneth Tickell再次重建器官，如此徹底在舊案例中使它成為一種新工具。在西窗口下方增加了另一個中殿風琴。
The Abbey has two reredos. The more recent is in the Lady Chapel, and was designed by Laurence Whistler in 1969, and fashioned in glass.The second, more substantial reredos was installed in 1884 and designed by RH Carpenter.
The Abbey contains a number of stained glass windows. The diarist Richard Symonds, post 1664-1665, described the location, blazon and surname for coats of arms of some leading families of Dorset displayed on stained glass in the Sherborne church as he observed them during the Marches of the Royal Army during the English Civil War.
The South Transept’s Te Deum window was designed by Pugin in the early 19th century.
The Great East Window was designed by Clayton and Bell and installed in 1856–58. It features the Apostles Mark, Luke, Matthew and John, and Saints Sidwell and Juthware (Juthwara), who is featured in the Sherborne Missal. The glass in the Southern Aisle commemorates Sherborne School For Girls’ 1949 Jubilee.
The Lady Chapel glass comes from the 1930s, and depicts St Aldhelm presenting a model of his church to the Patron.
The Great West Window is the newest of the major windows designed and made by John Hayward (1929-2007), being installed in 1997 to replace a poor quality, faded, Pugin conceived glass. The new glass depicts the Patron and the baby Jesus, the Biblical Magi and the Shepherds, the Genesis story, the fall of man and the Easter story.
修道院有兩個reredos。最近的是Lady Chapel，由Laurence Whistler於1969年設計，並採用玻璃製成。第二個更重要的reredos於1884年安裝並由RH Carpenter設計。
修道院包含許多彩色玻璃窗。 1664年至1665年後，日記作家理查德·西蒙茲（Richard Symonds）描述了多塞特郡一些主要家庭的徽章的位置，紋章和姓氏，他們在舍伯恩教堂的彩色玻璃上展示，因為他在皇家軍隊的英國軍隊期間觀察了他們戰爭。
South Transept的Te Deum窗口由Pugin在19世紀初設計。
Great East Window由Clayton和Bell設計，安裝於1856 – 58年。它的特色是使徒馬克，盧克，馬修和約翰，以及聖徒西德威爾和Juthware（Juthwara），他們都是Sherborne Missal的特色。 Southern Aisle的玻璃杯紀念Sherborne School For Girls ‘1949 Jubilee。
Lady Chapel玻璃杯來自20世紀30年代，描繪了St Aldhelm向贊助人展示他的教堂模型。
Great West Window是由約翰海沃德（John Hayward，1929-2007）設計和製造的最新主窗戶，於1997年安裝，以取代劣質，褪色，Pugin構思的玻璃。新的玻璃描繪了贊助人和嬰兒耶穌，聖經魔法師和牧羊人，創世紀的故事，人類的墮落和復活節的故事。
The Abbey contains ten 15th century misericords, situated 5 on each side of the choir. These depict such things as the last judgement of Christ, and gurning.
The C15th central tower contains the heaviest peal of eight bells in the world with a tenor of 46cwt and 5 lbs (just over 2 and 1/4 tons).
The Lady Chapel contains the oldest chandelier in England dating prior to 1714.
Don’t you think it’s addictive?
Want to know more about the beauty of architecture?
Come and join our members to explore the beauty of architectural design.
The above article is purely for appreciation and sharing purposes, as well as the construction of new technology and the public can be in-depth understanding of the information at the same time there are sources, will be able to query, no use of the document as a commercial transaction, if illegal, please inform the We will immediately remove the site, thank you for cooperation.